Sunday, April 26, 2009

Arriving At Vanderbilt

I think that was the longest trip of my life or atleast it felt like it. Some of my friends called during the trip to check on us and that helped to pass the time. When we arrived at the hospital Jeremy met us in the parking garage with a wheelchair. Later I was glad he did because when we went through the doors it was very overwhelming for me. I don't know if I would have been able to walk. Up until that point it had all seemed like a bad dream but actually being in the hospital made it a reality for me, a hard to handle reality.

Jamie took me back to the NICU to see Jace. It was so hard to see him hooked up to all those machines but I knew he had to have them. I was so thankful that he was stable. At that point, Jamie began to tell me about Jace's illness.

The doctor's had discovered that Jace had Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS). This basically means that the left side of his heart did not develop properly. He would need a series of three surgeries. The next few hours were spent with doctors explaining his condition and what we could expect. It all seems like a blur now. I do remember Jamie telling me that this was the same thing that Jeana's son had. I teach with Jeana and knowing how Collin was now gave me so much hope for Jace.

No comments:

Post a Comment