Monday, June 29, 2009

Day 6

We're at home!!!! I think I am still in shock at the thought that we are actually at home. I never dreamed Jace would do this well. I was expecting to stay atleast 10 days. I've said it many times before but Jace is definitely proof that prayer works.

Not only are we at home, but Jace was approved to start taking a bottle and baby food. The speech therapist came to our room for his 10 a.m. feeding this morning. She let me give him a bottle and she watched how he did. He did fine swallowing, but he is still not too sure about having anything in his mouth. She suggested that we give him a bottle at the beginning of each feeding. What he won't take from a bottle we will give him through his feeding tube. It will take some time for him to get used to the bottle, but he will eventually get there. I never imagined how exciting it could be to watch your baby take a bottle for the first time. For Jace this compares to Taylor taking her first steps. I feel like he has taken a major step today in overcoming a huge hurdle. Way to go Jace!!!

After giving him a bottle, she decided to try and give him some baby food. She got a jar of bananas and put some on her finger and put in his mouth. He gagged a time or two, but I think he liked the taste. She wants us to try giving him some type of fruit 3 to 4 times a day to get him used to the baby food. He has had such a tiring day that I think I will wait until in the morning to try anymore food.

We want to thank everyone for the visits, calls, and most of all prayers. You will never know how much your love and support through Jace's sickness has meant to us.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Jace. You are just a little fighter sweet boy! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete